•  home
•  about Ejura
•  admin setup
•  Municipality info
•  MPs in this Municipality
•  dev. projects
•  news & events
•  contact details
•  gd.com

about this Municipality
demograhic characteristics

Size
Ejura-Sekyedumase district currently has a population of 88,753. Between 1984 and 2000, the population increased from 60,997 to 88,753.  However considering the rate of growth, it could be deduced that the population increases at a decreasing rate.  The increase in the absolute figures is attributable to the fact that the district serves as the immediate- tie between the north and the south so harbours most northern extracts that are in search of greener pastures. It also worth-mentioning that Ejura-Sekyedumase district served as the major food basket during the 1983 famine therefore attracted people from all walks of life.  Table 1.1    below depicts the population trend for the various censual years beginning from 1960-2005   

Growth Rates
There has been a considerable increase in the rates as to the various censal years.   However, the rate of increase in comparison to the national figure and the regional one are different from the area under study. Whereas both increases invariably, the district under study has a growth rate that increases from the initial point and thereafter drops, thus 4.2% (1960) to 3.6% (1970-1984) and 1.8% between 1984-2005.  The sudden drops in the rates between 1984 and 2004 could possibly be due to the incidence of migration which is prevalent. The table below presents the various intercensal growth rates.

Age-Sex Structure of the Population
The age-sex structure of the District population is typical of the rural Ghanaian situation.  The population pyramid has a broad base which tippers to the top.  From Table    , it could be realized that males slightly outnumber their female counterparts.  Males constitute 51.7% whilst females constitute 48.3 %.  This is the opposite of the national figures (males- 49% and females-51%).  Within the female populace, 39% are within the reproductive age group (15-49 years).   Table depicts the current age and sex cohort of Ejura-Sekyedumase district.
From Table1.4, 53% of the population fall within the economic active group, 40% are within the school going age where as 7% constitute the aged. This brings the dependency ratio to 1:0.89. This implies every 100 persons cater for themselves and an additional 89 persons.

Rural -Urban Split and Density
Population is unevenly distributed in the district in terms of urban and rural consideration.  Out of the district’s 130 settlements, only three are urban areas with the rest being rural settlements.  This gives the District a rural status.  It is divided into five zones, Ejura Urban Council, Sekyedumase Area Council, Dromankuma- Bonyon Area Council, Kasei Area Council and Ebuom Area Council.  It is estimated that more than 40% of the total populace are resident in the three major urban centres- Ejura, Sekyedumase and Anyinasu with the remaining 60% in the rural centres.  The table below gives the population split together with its density.

From the table it could be realized that the three urban centres with a total land size of 760sq.kms are densely populated in comparison to the rural areas which is sparsely populated given it total size of 1022.2sq.kms.  The district has population density 50 which is below the national population density of 90. The table below gives the population density of both the national and the District.

For tables refer to pdf file attached




 view links: